DIY Repurposed Can Lego Head

Have you seen those cute Lego head storage jars at the store?  Every time I’m at the store and see those Lego storage jars, I wish my kiddos were young enough to have one.  Recently, I emptied a square yellow container of corn starch and as I was walking to the recycling bin, it hit me,  Hey!, I could make my own diy repurposed can Lego Head storage jar for free!

DIY Repurposed Can Lego Head - Organized 31

Pin It

Not only was this cutie free, but it only took about 10 minutes to make.  It’s also simple enough and fun enough for your kiddo to make.

You’ll need a square yellow container (I used an empty cornstarch jar), a black Sharpie, a red Sharpie, some while labels, a hole punch and scissors.

Supplies

I spent some time looking up Lego face expressions to find 4 that I could draw.  If you have a bunch of Lego people around the house, just find 4 with expressions you like.

Don’t over think it, just draw a the face with the black Sharpie.

Draw a face

With the red Sharpie, draw a tongue.  Punch the white eyes out of the label with a hole punch and add them to the black eyes you drew.  Use the scissors to cut teeth (a simple rectangle) from the label and add it to the mouth.

DIY Repurposed Can Lego Head - Organized 31

I also drew an angry face,

DIY Repurposed Can Lego Head - Organized 31

a Grrr face,

Angry Face

and a winky face.

Smiling Lego

Don’t worry if you’re not an artist (I can’t draw a stick figure).  You can practice drawing the faces on paper first. But they really are simple to draw.

Just think off how cute your Lego storage will be with this DIY Repurposed Can Lego Head!

DIY Repurposed Can Lego Head - Organized 31

Pin It

And for the older Lego fans…

DIY Repurposed Can Lego Head - Organized 31

Pin It

Featured at Make and TakesI was featured on Fun Family Crafts

Comments

1. says

Oh my gosh! This is so cute. I love all of the different faces that you made. I know that there are a ton of kids that would love this! I wish I had a little one to make it for!

• susan says

I have found myself looking at the shapes of cans before I buy food at the store now. (doesn’t that make me a little bonkers?)

2. says

This is adorable – and one that’s just our speed! I love how the different Lego expressions can become part of their imaginative play, like in the last photo. Awesome idea!

3. says

Well that is just pure genius. I’m thinking my little man and I have a craft project for this weekend. If I step on just one more lego…

Share with me! Blog Hop every Friday (entries accepted until Thursday at noon).
    www,104homestead.weebly.com

4. says

I cannot even begin to tell you how much I love this idea! My son just move into the “little Lego” stage this Christmas and those containers are crazy expensive.

So glad we ended up on the same SITS team!

5. says

I came across this post awhile back and knew I had to make one of these. My son had a birthday (9th) on Wednesday and received a load of Legos for gifts. I happened to have an empty cornstarch container I had been saving for this project so I whipped it out and made him one. He loved it and used it that night to hold extra parts while he was making up the different items from the huge set he received.

• susan says

Melissa, I’m so glad that your son liked the Lego Head storage jar you made. I’d love to see a photo of it (or link it up at my Inspire Us Thursday link party!)

Trackbacks