You can change up favorite recipes to make clean eating versions of the recipe. One of my children is a huge fan of potatoes and any and all potato dishes. I decided to clean up the delicious potato croquette recipe and turn it into a clean eating potato recipe. These croquettes are slightly crispy and compliment many different main dishes perfectly.
These crispy potato croquettes are a delicious comfort food. I first tasted potato croquettes when I was stationed in Germany. They immediately became a favorite dish of mine. I used a Greek version of a croquette recipe as the starting point for my clean eating potato recipe version. I first served them with my Clean Eating Recipe for Greek Lemon Chicken. My family raved when we had the croquettes for dinner. I found my children reheating them the next day for breakfast. That makes this croquette recipe perfect for dinner and breakfast. A twofer clean eating potato recipe, if you will.
- 1 pound of russet potatoes, chopped into 1 inch squares (you can leave the skins on)
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs or wheat germ
- Vegetable oil
- Boil potatoes until soft. Drain and run cool water over the potatoes. Once potatoes are cool enough to handle, remove the skins. Mash potatoes well in a large mixing bowl. Add egg yolks, Parmesan cheese, onion and parsley to potatoes. Mix well.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with 2 Tbsp water until well mixed.
- Scoop a tablespoon-sized amount of potato mixture and form into a ball. Roll the potato ball in the wheat germ, then dip in the eggs whites and roll in the wheat germ again. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and flatten until 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat frying pan on medium to medium-high heat. Just cover the bottom of the pan with vegetable oil. Cook potato croquettes until golden brown on each side. Remove to a paper towel lined platter. Keep warm until ready to serve.