This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #StickItToLint #CollectiveBias
My second “baby” headed off to her first year of college two months ago. That means that I have two babies away at college. I’m still mystified about how it happened so suddenly. Wasn’t it just a couple of years ago that I took them to kindergarten? (Tell me I’m not the only mom that feels this way.) I miss my babies all the time. I want to make sure they know that I’m thinking about them in a fun, non-clingy, not mom-emotional way. Sending a college care package is the perfect way to show my babies how much we miss them. This time I was in the mood for something a bit different, a unique college care package idea about cleaning up.
Making a unique college care package idea is fun for me and helps distract me a bit from missing my babies so much. Both of my daughters are into style and fashion, so I knew that I wanted to make a pretty care package. Finding time to clean is difficult for college students (there are just so many other things to do!) and buying cleaning supplies is definitely not high on the list for a college student. After about a month or two at college, students begin to realize how important cleaning the dorm room is and a fun cleaning care package is appreciated.
Unique College Care Package Idea – Cleaning Up
I started by decorating a gift bag with washi tape to coordinate with the care package items. It’s a simple and easy way to make a care package special. Choosing to color-coordinate the care package shows you put extra thought and effort into the gift.
I couldn’t find a dust cloth that was pretty enough to add to my stylish clean up care package so I decided to make my own. I made two flannel dust cloths for less than $1 total and in less than 15 minutes.
- You’ll need a quarter of a yard of flannel fabric. Cut it into four 9-inch squares.
- Sew two squares together with the right sides of the fabric facing each other. I used a 1/4 inch seam. Leave a small opening on one side to turn the cloth inside out. Clip the corners of your cloth.
- Turn the cloth right side out. Sew a seam 1/4 inch from the side to close the opening and give the dust cloth a finished look.
Adding items that make cleaning easier will earn you the appreciation of your college student.
- Flannel Dust Cloths
- Scotch-Brite™ Printed Lint Roller – It’s pretty and makes cleaning a bit more fun. It’s perfect for cleaning lint, hair and fuzz from clothing and bedding. Since a college student’s bed serves as a bed, a couch, a table and desk, keeping it cleaned up is important.
- Scotch-Brite™ 50% Stickier Lint Roller – It picks up larger debris like crumbs, so it’s ideal for cleaning up the rug, especially by the door. Many students don’t have a vacuum in their room and it’s inconvenient to go borrow the dorm vacuum. Having a lint roller to clean up debris from the carpet or throw rugs makes college life a bit easier and neater.
- Disinfecting Wipes
- Paper Towels
- Electronic Cleaning Cloths
With this much hair, it’s obvious why my babies could use a lint roller or two or three.
You can see why my fashionable daughters will be happy to use this pretty Scotch-Brite™ Printed Lint Roller to clean up around the dorm room. The fun printed design is on every sheet and tears cleanly guaranteed. It’s ideal for cleaning up bedding, upholstery, curtains, throw rugs and any soft surfaces in the dorm room.
In addition to cleaning items, be sure to add fun, just because items to the care package. Bonus points if you find items that color-coordinate with your other items.
- The student’s favorite candy
- Color-coordinated candy
- Brightly-colored candy
- Homemade Cookies
- Granola Bars
- Packets of Oatmeal
- Microwaveable Meals
- Letters from Family and Friends
- Colorful socks
- Gift Cards to Nearby Restaurants
- Stress-relief items and toys
- Paddle Ball
- Modeling Clay
- Stress Ball
- Coloring Book
- Colored Pencils or Crayons
- Bouncy Ball
Add a personalized note to your college student. Bonus points for a silly cleaning related message.
I knew that I could find everything I needed to make this unique college care package idea at Walmart. I’m all about one-stop shopping. I found the Scotch-Brite Lint Rollers on the sponge aisle of the cleaning section of my Walmart. Scotch-Brite Lint Rollers are the only ones with Scotch™ adhesive.
This video reminds me a little too much of a college dorm room.
I had so much fun making this unique college care package idea for cleaning up, that I think I’ll make several more for my friends’ children in college. You can find more ideas using Scotch-Brite Lint Rollers and you can make your favorite college student’s day by sending a fun and unique college care package.
Be sure to check out More College Care Package Ideas
I’m a mom of 3, a veteran and military spouse. I’ve moved into 20+ homes all around the world. My passion is helping busy people make the space and time for what’s really important to them.