Have fun while also practicing memory skills when playing this free wild animal matching game. It’s a great way to entertain young children and children of all ages.
It’s easy to adapt the game for different difficulty levels simply by changing the number of cards in play.
You can download and begin playing the game right away.
How to use the Wild Animal Memory Game cards
- A great way to keep young children engaged and learning on a rainy day
- Use the game cards as flash cards for animal recognition in the classroom or for homeschooling
- A fun way to make family time fun for a range of ages.
- The animal matching game cards can be used to practice English vocabulary words.
Wild Animal Memory Game
This animal matching game is flexible and allows you to choose how you want to play it.
- This memory game can be played alone or with others.
- You can play for a set time limit or until all the cards are matched.
- You can play with fewer cards or the entire deck of 72 cards, 36 pairs of cards
Benefits of Memory Games
- Helps build matching skills while having fun
- Practices concentration skills and focus
- Practice of visual discrimination skills in comparing images to find matches
- Builds memory skills and cognitive thinking skills
- Can be used for vocabulary teaching, especially if you play by naming the animal and colors on each card
- Cutting the picture cards out of the printed sheets practices scissor skills
What you need to make this Wild Animal Matching Game
- Free matching game pdf – Simply sign up for our free newsletter to gain access to this game
- Paper – You can use computer paper, but I recommend using thicker card stock paper so that the game cards hold up better to repeated game play.
- Scissors or paper cutter
How to play the memory game
- Print out the free pdf.
- Cut out the animals memory game cards.
- Shuffle the cards.
- Choose how many flash cards you will layout for the age and skill of the players.
- Play with one page of image cards for a total of 12 different images and 24 game cards.
- Play with two different pages of image game cards for a total of 24 unique images and a total of 48 game cards.
- You can play with all three pages which will give you 36 different pairs of cards with a total of 72 cards.
- Lay the cards out in a grid with even numbers of cards in each row and column.
- 12 unique pairs of animals should be laid out in a grid of 6 by 4.
- 24 unique pairs of animals should be laid out in a grid of 8 by 6.
- 36 unique pairs of animals should be laid out in a grid of 9 by 8.
- Determine if you will play until all pairs of cards are matched for a set time limit.
- The youngest player starts first.
Expert Tips for Printables
How do I access the printable?
Sign up for our free newsletter to get your free Wild Animal Matching Memory Game. When you submit the form, you will immediately be sent an email from Organized 31with your printable. If you can’t find the welcome email after 3-4 minutes, check your spam folder. If you have any difficulty, you can email me and I’ll help you resolve any problems.
How can I use the printable (what restrictions are there on use)?
You can print this printable pdf as many times as you’d like for your personal or classroom use. Please do not share the file with family, friends or coworkers. Please do share the link to this post so they can access their own copy of the printable. All printables are copyrighted.
Looking for more matching games?
Changing themes of memory games makes the game playing more interesting and engaging. These are three of our most popular choices.
Farm Animal Memory Matching Game – A free farm animal memory matching game with 36 unique card pairs of images and words that you can download immediately for learning and fun.
Superhero Memory Matching Game – Free superhero memory matching game cards with 5 different pages and a total of 60 different matching cards, including words and images.
Other animal activities you may have missed
Toucan Bookmark – Tips to encourage after-school reading and an easy tutorial to make a fun bookmark.
Farm Animal Book Huggers – A simple tutorial to make a pig or cow bookmark.
Be sure to pin this wild animal memory game so you can find whenever you’re ready to print out this game.
You can find all our best games and activities in the table below. You can scroll though the table and look for ideas or search for specific ideas with the magnifying glass in the upper right-hand corner (on desktop). Click on the topic and then click through the specific article.
I’m a mom of 3, a veteran and military spouse. I’ve moved into 20+ homes all around the world. My passion is helping busy people make the space and time for what’s really important to them.