More than 100 purse storage ideas for every need and both a large collection or a few favorite handbags. There are ideas for every budget, every style of purse and every storage space.
I’ve lived in more than 20 different homes of all different sizes and styles. That meant that I had to find different ways to organize and store my purses to accommodate different homes and storage spaces. My personal experience and experience as a professional organizer provides the insight for this collection of handbag storage ideas.
If you’re a handbag addict, you should check out these luxury Polene bags.
How do you store many purses?
If you have a large purse collection, you need to plan and choose the best organization ideas for your needs and space.
You need to consider both storing all your different bags and protecting them during storage.
Choose the purse storage ideas that work best for the types of bags you have.
- Designer bags
- Shoulder bag
- Messenger bag
- Leather handbags
- Fabric bags
- Smaller bags. wristlets or clutches
- Backpack handbag
- Hobo bag
- Vegan leather purses
- Woven purse
Take advantage of of the vertical space on walls or doors.
- Place hooks on part of the wall above your head where they’re out of the way.
- Place shelves in the otherwise unused space over the door into the bedroom and into the closet.
- Place shelves in the space over windows above window blinds or curtains.
- Hang organizers on the door to hold purses.
Take advantage of otherwise unused space for efficient use of space to store your handbags.
- The upper shelf in your closet
- On the wall behind hanging clothes in your closet space or in the back of the closet
- Storage under the bed
- Clear plastic bins on the floor of the closet
- Decorative hatboxes or storage bins stacked in the corner
Store smaller bags inside of larger bags. Store larger bags inside of tote bags. This is one of Marie Kondo’s organizing tricks.
Expert Tips for purse storage
- Avoid placing purses in plastic bags or plastic containers, especially leather, to prevent mildew and mold. Be sure to allow your purse to breathe so that any moisture can evaporate.
- Place a pouch or two of silica gel in your purse when you store it to absorb moisture. You can repurpose silica gel packs that come in products you purchase, or buy new silica gel packs.
- Protect purses while in storage.
- Cover them to prevent collecting dust in nooks and crannies.
- Also protect them from direct sunlight, fading and discoloration.
- Placing each purse in an individual bag can be the best way to protect them.
- Breathable cotton dust bags are often the best choice for leather and designer handbags.
- Clear dust bags make it easy to visually identify the contents.
- You can also use a repurposed pillow case.
- Clean your purse before storing it to prevent stains and remove debris. Dust can cause the stitching to deteriorate over time.
- Clean both the interior and exterior with a soft cloth or soft brush designed for cleaning purses.
- Check the proper cleaning steps for each purse’s material.
- Stuff the bag or use a handbag shaper so that it holds its shape and doesn’t get wrinkled or creased. It’s important to plan handbag storage to keep the shape of your bag while it’s in storage.
- Use clean tissue paper, paper towels or fabric to fill the shape of your purse.
- You can also purchase purse shapers.
- Remove straps and accessories so they don’t crease or mark the purse in storage.
- Loosely roll the strap. If you fold the strap it can create creases.
- Wrap each of the items in paper or cloth and place them inside the purse so they don’t get lost.
- Store purses flat on the back so that there is no sagging or bending, especially for large or tall bags.
- Add a tag to identify each bag in a dust bag so you can quickly find the purse you want.
Purse Storage Solutions
Waterproof storage or water resistance can be a great solution if you make sure that the purses are moisture-free before you put them away.
Find the best dust covers for bags, including breathable dust covers, for your purse collections.
If you’d like to highlight favorite handbags, a purse display can be the best option.
Purse organizers to hang in your closet is a great storage solution if you have enough space in the closet.
Over-the-door organizers allow you to use available space on the closet door or bedroom door.
Wall hooks can provide storage while highlighting your purse collection as room décor.
Take advantage of shelf space on closet shelves with acrylic shelf dividers or fabric dividers and keep your purses in easy reach.
Additional purse storage ideas
Acrylic bins or boxes with a clear window allow you to see the purses stored inside. If you use opaque storage bins, identify the contents with labels to make it easy to find the exact purse you want.
Clear stackable boxes, the ones used for shoe storage, can be a great way to provide easy access to purses. These boxes are a favorite of professional organizers. They come in clear drop front styles and pull-out drawer styles. They also come with breathable panels to allow air circulation while also protecting from dust.
Multipurpose purse storage ideas
These are storage ideas that can hold a variety of items, including purses.
Small Bag and Clutch Storage
DIY Purse Storage Ideas
Use shower curtain rings or shower curtain hooks on the clothing rod or tension rod to hang purses by their straps.
Repurpose a curio cabinet. It’s a great way to display your handbag collection so you can enjoy it.
You can often use other closet organizers as purse storage solutions. Do you already have products for
Magazine holders turned on their back or side can hold smaller purses on a shelf.
A wall organizer for magazines or files can hold thin or small purses.
Hang hooks on the wall to create a wall display for your purses.
Command hooks in a size large enough to hold a purse can be the perfect solution, especially for renters
Looking for more closet organization ideas?
Creative Hat Storage Ideas – More than 145 hat storage ideas, products and tips for all styles of hats, budgets, needs, spaces and décor styles.
Decluttering Clothes – Everything You Need to Know – The ultimate decluttering clothes guide with more than 25 practical tips & all your most common questions answered by a professional organizer.
How Many Clothes Do You Really Need? – The purpose of the How Many Clothes Do You Really Need checklist and this process is for you to rationally and purposefully decide how many clothes in each clothing category you need for your specific and unique lifestyle and situation.
Other storage ideas you might have missed
Outdoor Shoe Storage Ideas – More than 100 tips, products and DIY projects for outdoor shoe storage ideas. There’s something for every need, budget & DIY skill level.
Best Sweater Storage Ideas and Solutions – Everything you need to know in 30+ tips for the best sweater storage ideas and products from a professional organizer.
Be sure to pin these hat storage ideas so that you can refer to these tips and products when you’re ready to organize your purse collection or try different ways to store them.
See my favorite storage and clothes organizing ideas and more in the table below. You can scroll though the table and look for ideas or search for specific ideas with the magnifying glass in the upper right-hand corner (on desktop). Click on the topic and then click through the specific article.
I’m a mom of 3, a veteran and military spouse. I’ve moved into 20+ homes all around the world. My passion is helping busy people make the space and time for what’s really important to them.