If you’re a regular around here, you know I’m a planner. I plan for everything. Every. Thing. But this is a new area of planning for me – planning to eat through the zombie apocalypse by making zombie apocalypse brownies.
How fun is a book that describes itself as A Cookbook & Culinary Survival Guide for the zombie apocalypse (or zpoc)?! The book is a basic disaster preparedness survival guide written in an amusing tongue in cheek style. It includes disaster preparedness tips, survival tips for bugging in (staying sheltered in your home) or bugging out (leaving for a safer, usually more remote, location), recipes that you can make without electricity and the zombie apocalypse food pyramid (illustration by Kristian Bauthus).
I decided to give the Apocalypse Nownies (brownies) recipe a try. The idea of this recipe it to use up your perishable items during the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. To quote the author (in my best Vincent Price voice), “When the undead rise and feast on the flesh of the living, it calls for a fudging brownie” Prior to the zpoc, you can easily make these brownies with ingredients you have onhand.
These brownies are not as sweet as I like. If I’m facing
the zombie apocalypse life, I want a sweet brownie. I added powdered sugar and marshmallows, but the brownies were still more dark chocolate tasting than I like. If I make these for the zpoc or regular life, I’ll definitely add more sugar. I also did not use the espresso powder. I don’t like coffee and unless drinking it will keep the zombies away, I can’t imagine I’d like it any better during the zpoc.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the pan
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 8 oz. chocolate (unsweetened baking preferable, or whatever you have on hand)
- 6 Tbsp butter, plus extra for greasing the pan
- 1 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp espresso powder (optional, but recommended)
- 1/8 tsp salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional, but recommended)
- 1. Start a cooking fire. Grease and flour a baking vessel (7x11" metal pan recommended for open fire cooking).
- 2. in a mixing bowl, combine the flour and baking powder until well combined. Set aside.
- 3. Set a medium pot, half-filled with water over the cooking fire to sue as a double boiler. Add the chocolate and butter to a second mixing bowl and rest it on the pot, stirring occasionally until completely melted and smooth. Remove the bowl from the heat, add the sugar, vanilla, espresso powder and salt (if needed). Mix until well incorporated and let cool about 2 minutes.
- 4. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until the batter is shiny and smooth after each addition. Add the flour mixture and whisk again, more gently this time, until the mixture is smooth and shiny. The batter should be fairly thick. Add the walnuts and mix until just combined.
- 5. Transfer the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth out to edges if needed. Bake for about 20 minutes in a 7 x 11 inch metal baking pan. Check the brownies after about 15 minutes to avoid over baking - they are ready when the sides are firm and the center has just set (a knife or toothpick in the center comes out relatively clean). Rotate the pan periodically to ensure even cooking, especially if using an oven hack from the book.
My special effects expert (also know as my son) got into the spirit of the zpoc brownies using his special effects makeup skills to create a zombie arm. While super creepy-cool, I’d recommend eating these brownies with your regular human arm.
What would you do during the zombie apocalypse? Well, now you know you can face the end after eating your own batch of zombie apocalypse brownies. Enjoy and then run for shelter.
Open to US and Canada residents only.
a Rafflecopter giveaway