Originally published June 26, 2019 and updated June 10, 2021.
It’s summer and you can encourage more outdoor activities with a nature scavenger hunt. Remember all your happy childhood memories of playing outdoors? Help your kids create their own memories of playing outside. This free 4-page printable is perfect as an outdoor activity, whether you’re in the woods or in the suburbs. There are over 30 different items to find in nature with each of the 4 different pages.
How to Play a Nature Scavenger Hunt
- Prepare to be outside.
- Apply sunscreen.
- Wear a hat.
- Bring sunglasses if you want.
- Apply bug spray.
- Wear appropriate shoes for your environment.
- Bring water bottles if you’ll be walking very far.
- Print out the Nature Scavenger Hunt Sheets (you’ll find them below).
- Decide if you’ll play as individuals or teams.
- You can team younger kids with older kids or adults.
- Each of the 4 sheets are different, so you can play with 4 individuals or teams. If your playing area is large enough, the same sheet can be used by more than one individual or group.
- Set the boundaries of your playing area.
- Decide if you’ll mark off the found items or take photos of them.
- Decide if the objective is to find all the items on the sheet or to complete a row or column.
Where to Play an Outdoor Scavenger Hunt
This nature scavenger hunt is designed to be played in a variety of locations:
- The backyard
- A park
- Out in nature on a hike or camping trip
The items are ones that are more likely to be found in the spring or summer, but you could use these scavenger hunt printable sheets anytime of the year.
Items to Look for in Nature
This scavenger hunt printable contains 33 different items that can be found in nature. Some of the items are:
- Trees – includes 3 different kinds
- Bugs & related items – lists 6 different items
- Birds & related items – has 4 different items
- Rocks – shows 2 different kinds
- Plants & related parts – includes 7 different items
- And more
The similarity and difference between items is a great way to work in a discuss of vocabulary related to nature and topics including biology and geology. This scavenger hunt for kids will provide learning opportunities for children while having fun playing a game of outdoor scavenger hunt.
How to Print the Nature Scavenger Hunt Sheets
Expert Tips for Printables
How do I access the free summer nature scavenger hunt?
Fill in the form above. When you submit the form, you will immediately be sent an email from Organized 31 with a link to the VIP Resources Library, including detailed instructions on how to access your printable. If you can’t find the welcome email after 3-4 minutes, check your spam folder. If you have any difficulty, you can email me and I’ll help you resolve any problems.
How do I print the pdf file?
The pdf usually opens right up when you click on the link in the VIP Resources Library. When that happens, simply right click on the pdf and either print or save the document to your device.
If the pdf does not pop up for you, you’ll most likely find it in your computer’s Downloads folder. You can also select “Downloads” in your browser menu to see a list of your downloads, then select “Show in folder” below the file name to see where it is located on your computer.
I’m worried about wasting printer ink – what can I do?
Most printers offer you the option to print in greyscale which is in black and white.
You can also look for the option to print in draft or economy mode. This usually means that the sheet is printed out with less ink. It still looks great and is a good way to print in color but use less ink.
How can I use the printable (what restrictions are there on use)?
You can print these pdf files as many times as you’d like for your personal or classroom use. Please do not share the file with family, friends or coworkers. Please do share the link to this post so they can access their own copy of the printable. All printables are copyrighted.
More Outdoor Scavenger Hunts
- Scavenger Hunt Printable for the 4th of July – Add even more fun to your patriotic celebrations with a free scavenger hunt printable for the 4th of July. It’s fun for kids of all ages.
- Printable Scavenger Hunt for the Amusement Park – A trip to the amusement park is even more fun when you take this 4-page free printable scavenger hunt designed specifically for the amusement park .
- Beach Scavenger Hunt – Looking for a fun beach game that doesn’t require a bunch of equipment? Get your free 4-page beach scavenger hunt printable.
- Neighborhood Scavenger Hunt – Take a walk around the neighborhood with your family or a big group and bring this free neighborhood scavenger hunt for kids with 4 different game boards.
- Camping Scavenger Hunt – Explore the campsite and have fun with the free 4-page printable camping scavenger hunt. Perfect for a variety of ages and camping locations.
More Outdoor Activities
- Summer Word Search Printable – A free 5-page summer word search printable is a fun way to learn for kids and adults. Includes 41 summer themed words & an answer key.
Pin this free nature scavenger hunt printable game for so you can find it again later.
Find all our best kids’ activities, games, and printables in the table below. You can scroll though the table and look for ideas or search for specific ideas with the magnifying glass in the upper right-hand corner (on desktop). Click on the topic and then click through the specific article.
I’m a mom of 3, a veteran and military spouse. I’ve moved into 20+ homes all around the world. My passion is helping busy people make the space and time for what’s really important to them.