It’s summer and you can encourage more outdoor activities with a nature scavenger hunt. Remember all your happy childhood memories of playing outdoors? Help your kids create their own memories of playing outside. This free 4-page printable is perfect as an outdoor activity, whether you’re in the woods or in the suburbs. There are over 30 different items to find in nature with each of the 4 different pages.
No matter how much your child may already love playing outside (or doesn’t), a summer scavenger hunt game makes it fun to be outside playing a game with friends and family.
How to Play a Nature Scavenger Hunt
- Prepare to be outside.
- Apply sunscreen.
- Wear a hat.
- Bring sunglasses if you want.
- Apply bug spray.
- Wear appropriate shoes for your environment.
- Bring water bottles if you’ll be walking very far.
- Print out the Nature Scavenger Hunt Sheets (you’ll find them below).
- Decide if you’ll play as individuals or teams.
- You can team younger kids with older kids or adults.
- Each of the 4 sheets are different, so you can play with 4 individuals or teams. If your playing area is large enough, the same sheet can be used by more than one individual or group.
- Set the boundaries of your playing area.
- Decide if you’ll mark off the found items or take photos of them.
- Decide if the objective is to find all the items on the sheet or to complete a row or column.
Where to Play an Outdoor Scavenger Hunt
This nature scavenger hunt is designed to be played in a variety of locations:
- The backyard
- A park
- Out in nature on a hike or camping trip
The items are ones that are more likely to be found in the spring or summer, but you could use these scavenger hunt printable sheets anytime of the year.
Items to Look for in Nature
This scavenger hunt printable contains 33 different items that can be found in nature. Some of the items are:
- 3 different kinds
- Bugs & related items
- 6 different items
- Birds & related items
- 4 different items
- 2 different kinds
- Plants & related parts
- 7 different items
- And more
The similarity and difference between items is a great way to work in a discuss of vocabulary related to nature and topics including biology and geology. This scavenger hunt for kids will provide learning opportunities for children while having fun playing a game of outdoor scavenger hunt.
How to Print the Nature Scavenger Hunt Sheets
- Download your free copy of the 4-page Nature Scavenger Hunt printable. (Click this link or the image below.)
- Choose your paper.
- Regular computer paper
- Card stock paper if you want the scavenger hunt sheets to be more durable
- Decide how many copies. You can print as many copies and as often as you’d like.
- Print away.
If you’re looking for more outdoor scavenger hunt ideas, check out these additional free printable scavenger hunt sheets.
Pin for later.