Looking for a fun summer break activity for kids (or adults)? These free summer word search printables consist of 4 pages plus one answer key. These are easy summer word search puzzles appropriate for elementary school children and older. You can download and print them out immediately – let the summer fun start right away!
I’ve always enjoyed doing word searches. They’re a great brain builder and brain maintainer, so they’re perfect for the whole family.
Word search puzzles work equally well for moms and in the classroom. As a mom, there are many occasions when I’ve searched for and used a summer word search game as one of my go-to summer activities:
- On a road trip to keep kids busy
- As a summer camp activity
- To celebrate on the last day of school
- When you need a simple activity for quiet time during the summer months
- As part of lesson plans for homeschooling or summer enrichment
- On a summer vacation when you need a little downtime
- When you want to supplement your summer activities with a fun educational activity
Is doing a word search good for you?
The simple answer, is yes. Whether it’s a simple or a more challenging word search, there are a variety of reasons that completing different word searches is good for you at a wide range of ages.
- It helps build word recognition as you look at the word, recognize it and then search for it on the printable worksheet.
- It’s a great way to relax with a fun seasonal activity that exercises your brain.
- It helps build problem solving skills.
- Helps build pattern recognition.
- Build attention span.
- Gives a sense of accomplishment.
- It’s a fun activity!
- For more information on the benefits of brain games check:
- This article from Harvard that shares that the simple answer is not so simple.
- This professor, teacher and mom answers the question “Are word searches a waste of instructional time?”
Summer Word Search
Fun puzzles are even more fun when they incorporate themed vocabulary words. This printable word search is packed with 41 words related to summer activities, items and food. What could be better than a free summer word search?
What makes this summer word search great?
It comes with a solution page. Take a moment to check out other free word searches and you’ll find that many of them don’t. Let’s be honest, sometimes you just need a little help. And if you want to find every word on you own, then simply don’t print out the answers.
You can take it with you anywhere. This is particularly helpful during the summertime.
There are four different worksheets with a wide range of summer-related words for different skill levels, with a separate page of just summer food words to find:
- Ice Cream
- Iced Tea
- Sand Castle
- Water Park
- Flip flops
What you need to make this summer word search
- The free printable summer word search puzzles pdf file below.
- Computer paper
- Printer, either your home printer or an office supply store print shop
How to print the summer word search printable
Download the free printable summer word search by signing up for our free newsletter and VIP Resources Membership with 125+ free printables.
Download the pdf to print or print directly from the pdf when it’s open on your screen.
Expert Tips for Printables
How do I access the word search printable?
Fill in the form above. When you submit the form, you will immediately be sent an email from Organized 31 with a link to the VIP Resources Library, including detailed instructions on how to access your printable. If you can’t find the welcome email after 3-4 minutes, check your spam folder. If you have any difficulty, you can email me and I’ll help you resolve any problems.
How do I print the pdf file?
The pdf usually opens right up when you click on the link in the VIP Resources Library. When that happens, simply right click on the pdf and either print or save the document to your device.
If the pdf does not pop up for you, you’ll most likely find it in your computer’s Downloads folder. You can also select “Downloads” in your browser menu to see a list of your downloads, then select “Show in folder” below the file name to see where it is located on your computer.
I’m worried about wasting printer ink – what can I do?
Most printers offer you the option to print in greyscale which is in black and white.
You can also look for the option to print in draft or economy mode. This usually means that the sheet is printed out with less ink. It still looks great and is a good way to print in color but use less ink.
How can I use the printable (what restrictions are there on use)?
You can print this printable pdf as many times as you’d like for your personal or classroom use. Please do not share the file with family, friends or coworkers. Please do share the link to this post so they can access their own copy of the printable. All printables are copyrighted.
Looking for more seasonal word searches?
- Summer Word Search – a 1-page free word search puzzle with summer-themed words from Wondermom Wannabe
- Memorial Day Word Search – a free word search for 22 Memorial Day themed words from Crayons and Cravings
- Valentine’s Word Search – 2 free printable pages with a Valentine’s Day theme
- Christmas Word Search – 4 free pages of word search sheets for Christmas
- Thanksgiving Word Search – 3 free pages for Thanksgiving
Other summer activities you might have missed
- Road Trip Activities for Kids – 55 ideas to make your summer road trip memorable
- Nature Scavenger Hunt in the Summer – 4 free unique summer themed scavenger hunt game boards
- Summer Declutter Calendar – make decluttering fun this summer with 30 items to declutter
- Backyard Scavenger Hunt – turn your same old backyard into an adventure through exploration
Be sure to pin for later so you easily located these free summer word search printables year after year.
You can see all our fun printables and activities for kids below.