The college search process is daunting. Using a college visit checklist is a big help in knowing what to look for. Last summer we spontaneously took two college tours just because we were in the vicinity of those colleges. We immediately realized that you need to prepare for your college tours. You can’t be a spectator in this process and gain anything of value. So to make these visits be more productive I just had to make a College Visit Checklist, of course.
How Should I Prepare for a College Visit?
- Spend time on the college website and learn more about the school and how it meets your unique interests and needs.
- Think about what is important to you in selecting a university.
- Research what programs of study are available at the university that may interest you.
- Print out and review the College Visit Checklist in preparation for your visit.
- Be prepared to take notes. Trust me, you’re not going to remember everything after the tour if you don’t get it down in writing.
College Visit Checklist
I realized that carrying the loose pages of checklists around wouldn’t work. I found a sturdy folder to hold the checklists and a pen. Having the folder was also helpful for holding brochures, handouts and business cards we picked up at each college. The folder and the checklist worked well for us on the visits. Since we took the time and made the effort to drive 10 hours each way on this trip, I wanted to make sure that my daughter (well, really all of us) got the most out of each college visit. And the checklist helped us do just that.
I can’t overstate the benefits of a college visit checklist in helping your student gather the information needed to make an informed decision on the best choice for her and her future.
I’m a mom of 3, a veteran and military spouse. I’ve moved into 20+ homes all around the world. My passion is helping busy people make the space and time for what’s really important to them.