Camping Scavenger Hunt
This post may contain affiliate links provided for your convenience. We earn commissions if you shop through the links on this page. I am also an Amazon Associate and earn from qualifying purchases Read my full disclosure policy.
A camping scavenger hunt is a great way to mix things up a bit while camping with kids. Whether you’re camping as a family or with a group of children this free 4-page printable scavenger hunt for kids will be hit at your campsite.And it’s a great way to get to know other families at the site.
Why is camping so popular? It’s wonderful to get outdoors, reconnect with nature and explore a world that most of us don’t live in every day. A nature scavenger hunt is a great way to explore that great outdoors. This camping scavenger hunt includes some items found on the nature scavenger hunt version but also includes items specifically found in a campground. The two scavenger hunt printables work well together.
How to Conduct a Scavenger Hunt for Kids
- Consider safety first, especially while camping. Establish safety rules, make sure everyone understand the the rules and enforce them.
- Clearly establish the boundaries of scavenger hunt play area.
- Determine if children will play as individuals or teams.
- If playing with younger children, team them up with an older child or an adult.
- Consider teaming two or three children together for safety reasons.
- Consider grouping children together for team building.
- Decide on rules of the scavenger hunt game.
- Do players find all items on their sheet or find all items in a row or a column.
- Will players mark items off the list or take photos.
- Use the scavenger hunt as a learning opportunity.
- Discuss the differences between items on the camping scavenger hunt sheets, like a twig versus a stick versus a log.
- Encourage children to look high and low and in close inspection for each item.
- You can have children collect natural items from their hunt and you can discuss the aspects of those items back at the campsite. This provides additional opportunities for exploration and learning.
- You can give children hints, but remember the goal of the camping scavenger hunt is to explore the environment and to learn. Focus on giving hints rather specific directions.
Camping Scavenger Hunt
Camping is an entirely different environment than day-to-day familiar life for most families. It’s a wonderful opportunity to explore new equipment, environment and nature. When you’re planning a scavenger hunt for kids, some great camping scavenger hunt ideas are:
- Common items found at a campsite
- Sleeping Bag
- Bug Spray
- Hiking Boots
- Animals and bugs found in nature
- Natural items
These are all included, plus more. Simply sign up for our weekly newletter and get the free 4-page camping scavenger hunt game right away.
Print as many copies as you’d like to take with you on your camping trip. I suggest you print extra copies because something will always happen and you’ll need back up copies. And you’ll find that the camping scavenger hunt is so popular with your little campers that they’ll want to play it again and again and again.
Add this Camping Bingo game from Gluesticks & Gumdrops, these Free Camping Coloring Pages from me, and you’ll be ready for any camping trip.
More Scavenger Hunt Ideas
- Nature Scavenger Hunt in the Summer
- Beach Scavenger Hunt
- Scavenger Hunt Printable for the 4th of July
- Printable Scavenger Hunt for the Amusement Park
- Fall Scavenger Hunt
Pin so you can find this Camping Scavenger Hunt game for your next camping trip.
Find all our best kids’ activities, games, and printables in the table below. You can scroll though the table and look for ideas or search for specific ideas with the magnifying glass in the upper right-hand corner (on desktop). Click on the topic and then click through the specific article.
I’m a mom of 3, a veteran and military spouse. I’ve moved into 20+ homes all around the world. My passion is helping busy people make the space and time for what’s really important to them.