Wondering what to do to keep the kids entertained while waiting for dinner on Thanksgiving? How about a Thanksgiving Word Search game in addition to other Thanksgiving-themed games? This free 3-page printable is the perfect activity for many different situations.
The months of October, November and December are such exciting months with all the holidays and festivities. It’s often difficult for children to contain their excitement. Adults need children to focus and be entertained many times during these months.
I find that while I’m extremely busy on Thanksgiving, often the children get restless waiting for dinner and then again for dessert. The adults are all either working, visiting, watching football or the parade. I have always planned activities for my children so that they are entertained and not causing trouble on Thanksgiving and the busy week prior.
This Thanksgiving word search, in addition to the Thanksgiving scavenger hunt and other activity ideas shared below, is an ideal way to keep children focused.
Most children enjoy the challenge of hunting and the thrill of finding words in a word search game in similarly to the excitement of a scavenger hunt.
Word search games also have many educational benefits:
- Recognizing words
- Building vocabulary
- Recognizing patterns
- Developing spelling
- Learning to differentiate between similar words or letter patterns
- Developing problem solving and reasoning strategies
- Experiencing feelings of success in finding words and in completing the word search
- Having fun doing it, too!
Thanksgiving Word Search
Words to Find
How to Print the Word Search Printable
- Click on this link for the free Thanksgiving word search.
- Right click on the scavenger hunt template document.
- Save the pdf to your computer or print directly with the “print” option.
- Print the word search sheets on your home printer.
- Or you can choose to print the template at your local office store or printer.
- You can print the game boards on regular computer paper or, as I prefer, print them on heavier card stock paper. Using heavier paper allows the game boards to hold up better to enthusiastic and energetic word hunters.
More Thanksgiving Activities for Kids
- Thanksgiving Scavenger Hunt Free Printable –
- Outdoor Fall Scavenger Hunt Free Printable – 4 page scavenger hunt game
- Fall Dessert Cookie – easy to decorate ear of corn cookies
- Thanksgiving Blessing Bags – A meaningful tradition to keep children busy and help your community.
- DIY Thanksgiving Napkin Rings – A fun craft to personalize each place setting.
- Turkey Craft Napkin Rings – A creative paper craft that’s adorable and perfect for decorating the dinner table.
More Word Search and Learning Resources
- Dr. Seuss Word Search
- Halloween Word Search
- Christmas Word Search – coming soon
- Valentine’s Word Search – coming soon
- Reading Challenge for the Holidays
- Reading Log Printable
Don’t forget to pin for later so that you can always find this Thanksgiving word search resource year after year.
Thanksgiving Ideas and free printables