Originally published November 9, 2016 and updated July 5, 2020.
There are many occasions when you’d like to thank a veteran for their service, but you’re just not sure how to start. These free printable thank a veteran cards make it easy to let them know how much you appreciate their service and positively impact a veteran’s day.
Many veterans have never been thanked. Can you believe it? I know because I’m the daughter of a Vietnam vet that was not thanked. Also, I’ve participated in Honor Flight greetings and had veterans tell me that it was the first time anyone had ever thanked them for their service.
I used to get choked up a bit, stumble over my words and have a hard time thanking the veterans I interacted with. This is a case of practice makes it easier
Don’t let your hesitation or not knowing what to say get in the way of saying thank you to a veteran. We all need to get better about taking the time to look a veteran in they eye, shake their hand and say, “Thank you for serving.” It’s that simple and it’s the least we can do to honor their service to our country.
No more excuses. Use these thank a Veterans cards free printable this week to thank every veteran you know (and look for veterans you don’t know to thank).
What to Say in A Thank You Note to a Veteran?
- Keep it simple and authentic
- Many veterans deal with conflicting emotions about their service and being thanked. Stick with “Thank you for your service.”
- Don’t gush about being a hero or doing heroic acts. This is often a complicated issue for veterans.
- A few sentences saying thank you, you appreciate them and remember them are sufficient.
- For more card writing tips see, Thank You Veteran Card Writing Tips
Ideas for Using Thank a Veteran Cards
- Give to veterans you know.
- Carry the cards with you and hand them out to veterans you see during the course of your day.
- Mail them to veteran nursing homes.
- Mail them to your local VA hospital.
- Mail them to your local VFW or American Legion.
- Contact your local police or fire department and ask how many veteran they have. Often many military veterans go onto to serve the community in law enforcement or with the fire department.
- Attach them to small gifts to drop off at one of the above locations.
Thank a Veteran Cards Free Printable
- You can download these printable cards for your own use.
- Print them out. You can use computer paper, but I prefer to use card stock paper because it’s sturdier and makes a nicer presentation as a card.
- Cut out the 4 cards.
- Fill each star with one thing that you’re able to do because of the freedom that a veteran has assured you. It can be serious (my daughters can attend school) or not so serious (I can drink overpriced coffee whenever I want) or a mix of the two.
- This is a great activity for children and to generate meaningful conversations between you and your child.
- It’s also a great activity for an adult to sit down and take a minute to think of 5 things you enjoy that you can thank a veteran for.
Please take the time to thank at least one veteran each day this week. Use these Thank a Veteran Cards, the additional card ideas, make your own cards, or simply say thank you. Just do it.
More Thank a Veteran, Military Member or Military Family Ideas
- Thank a Hero and Printable
- What to Donate to a Veterans Hospital
- Thank Our Veterans Free Printable
- Cards to Support Our Troops
- How to Help a Military Family
- Free Resources for Military Families
- Thank You Veteran Card Writing Tips
Pin for later so you can use these Thank A Veteran cards year after year.