It’s wonderful to fill the cookie jar with homemade cookies. It’s such a nostalgic treat to come home from school or work after a long day and find a delicious freshly baked surprise. These Pecan Pie Cookie Bars are a new family favorite. One bite and they’ll be your new favorite, too.
I remember visiting my grandmother as very young child. She’d always make sure to have my favorite cookies on-hand. I looked forward to being able to open the cookie jar to find which treat was waiting for me. It was the feeling of excitement and anticipation coupled with knowing my grandmother had taken the time to make something special for me.
My grandmother lived in prime pecan country, with a pecan tree in the front yard. She was known for her amazing pecan pie. These pecan pie cookie bars are just as delicious as her pie, but are much more convenient for everyday snacking. And while I still love my tried-and-true Pecan Tassie cookies, these Pecan Pie Cookie Bars are much easier to make in a big batch.
Pecan Pie Cookie Bars
When making these pecan pie cookie bars, be sure to let the cookie dough layer cool well before adding the filling layer. Also, let the finished bars cool well before cutting them into squares. The pecan pie cookie bars are very sweet, so I recommend cutting the bars smaller than you do your usual brownies or bars.
The pecan pie cookie bars can be frozen. Simply wrap each bar with plastic wrap and store in an air tight plastic bag or container in the freezer.
- Cookie Layer
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cold butter, but into small pieces
- Custard Layer
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
- Crust Layer
- Combine flour and sugar in a bowl. Cut in 3/4 cup butter with a pastry blender or two knives, until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Press dough mixture evenly into a 13' x 9" pan. Use can use a piece of plastic wrap to press the dough out neatly.
- Bake at 350F for 17 - 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Cool well.
- Custard Layer
- Combine brown sugar, corn syrup and the 1/2 cup butter in a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat; stirring gently.
- Remove from heat.
- Add about a half a cup of hot mixture to the beaten eggs. Stir well and add back to the pan of the remaining mixture.
- Add vanilla and pecans. Stir well.
- Pour over the cookie layer.
- Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes or until set.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.
- You can wrap each cookie bar individually in plastic wrap and freeze in a plastic bag or airtight container.
Be sure to check out all the cookie recipes available from other bakers who are filling the cookie jar.
I’m a mom of 3, a veteran and military spouse. I’ve moved into 20+ homes all around the world. My passion is helping busy people make the space and time for what’s really important to them.