A while back a reader asked me the best way to fold and organize jeans. I don’t know about you, but I’ve tried everything when it comes to folding and organizing my jeans.
I’ve hung them in half over a hanger. I’ve hung them lengthwise from a pants hanger. I’ve folded and stacked them on a shelf in my closet. I’ve rolled them and stacked them on the same shelf in the closet. I’ve folded them in a dresser drawer.
I was looking for the best way to neatly fold jeans (and to fold pants, too) and save space in my closet. Then I found how to fold jeans and organize them so that my closet stayed nice and neat.
Nothing was working for me. Hanging jeans takes up a lot of valuable real estate in your closet since jeans tend to be bulky. I particularly hated the stack of folded jeans. The pair I wanted to wear was never on the top. I had to do a whole dance to remove the pair I wanted from the stack and then return the stack to its neatly stacked position. Ugh. I’ve got a life to live and not enough time to play re-stack the jeans.
Then I realized that I could fold and file my jeans just like I do my t-shirts and linens. to organize them and save space. You know, fold jeans like a professional.
But before you start folding your jeans, take 10 minutes and follow these purging tips for jeans to find which jeans you should really keep, fold and organize.
5 Reasons to Fold Jeans
- Jeans don’t tend to wrinkle or stretch out of shape so you can fold them and they’ll still look fresh.
- If you have limited hanging room, folding jeans makes more space for the clothes that need to be hung up.
- Folding jeans allows you to store them either in a drawer or on a shelf.
- When you fold them, you can file them so it’s easy to quickly see and grab the pair you want.
- Folded jeans can be compressed to save space if you have limited closet or clothes storage space. If you do have limited space, start by deciding how many clothes do you really need with this free printable worksheet.
How to Fold and Organize Jeans
I start by laying my jeans out flat.
Lay them out this way to prevent wearing crease line down the front and back of legs of the jeans.
Next, fold the jeans in half.
Again, do it this way to prevent wearing lines down the legs of your jeans.
Per a reader’s suggestion, fold the jeans with the back pockets on the outside (in the photo below the pockets are folded in). When you fold the pockets on the outside, it makes it easy to identify each pair of jeans.
Then fold the jeans in half by bringing the hem up to the waistband. Be sure to smooth out any large wrinkles.
And fold them in half one more time.
When your jeans are folded into this square, you can file them in a bin, box or basket. Place the jeans with the folded edge up to keep them neater. Filing your folded jeans like this makes them easier to access.
Get my 37-page How to Fold Clothes ebook now with images and directions for folding all types of clothing.
Simply place the box of filed jeans on a closet shelf and you’ll be able to easily see and select the pair of jeans you want. No more wrestling with the stacked pile of jeans. This is the best way I’ve found to fold and organize jeans and to fold pants, too.
If you like these tips on how to fold jeans, then you may be interested in these additional folding tips.
- How to Fold a Sweatshirt – A simple tutorial for the best way to fold a sweatshirt so that it stays neatly organized in a closet or drawer. Works for all sizes.
- How to Fold Socks – What’s the best way to fold socks? Let me show you how to fold socks neatly 4 different ways. You can choose the best way to store socks for you.
- How to Fold Pajamas – Learn how to fold pajamas and pajama pants in a few easy steps. Folding them neatly keeps your drawers organized.
- How to Fold Curtains – I’ve learned a few tricks to make moving a bit easier and much more organized. One of the tricks that makes moving easier for us is keeping all our curtains organized so that we know exactly what will work in our new home.
- How to Fold and Hang Sweaters – The best way to store a sweater – to properly hang a sweater, with no shoulder bumps & it doesn’t ruin or stretch out. The best way to hang up your sweater.
- How to Organize T-Shirts – Knowing how to fold & organize t-shirts like a professional organizer makes it easy to get ready quickly. It can be done while watching your favorite show.
- How to Fold Underwear – It’s easy to organize your dresser when you know how to fold underwear with these tips from a professional organizer. Includes free cheat sheet printable.
- How to Fold a Hoodie – Have you struggled with how to best fold a hoodie? Three tutorials for different folding methods for a hoodie will help find what works best for you.
Pin for later so you can always find these tips for how to fold and organize jeans.
You can find all our best clothes organizing and care tips in the table below. You can scroll though the table and look for ideas or search for specific ideas with the magnifying glass in the upper right-hand corner (on desktop). Click on the topic and then click through the specific article.
I’m a mom of 3, a veteran and military spouse. I’ve moved into 20+ homes all around the world. My passion is helping busy people make the space and time for what’s really important to them.