Got CDs? We’ve got more than 85 CD storage ideas for music lovers. Ideas include options for all sizes of music collections. Many of the storage ideas also work for other media.
What is the best way to store CDs?
The top 8 ways to preserve and store your CDs are:
- Store CDs standing up vertically.
- Keep them in a low dust area.
- Keep them in a cool, dry climate-controlled area with minimal light.
- It’s best to keep CDs in the original case since they’re designed to protect the disc.
- Always properly clean dirt and fingerprints from disc before storage.
- Store CDs so it’s easy to read the artist and title.
- Keep CDs easily accessible.
- Find the best storage solution for your space from the options shared below.
CD Storage Ideas
The product images below are clickable links that take you directly to the products so you can explore the measurements, specifics and current prices.
Should I Keep CD Cases or Not
Before you can decide on the CD storage option for you, you have to answer the big question – do you want to keep your CDs in the cases or not?
Pros to Keeping CDs in Their Cases
- The jewel case is designed to protect the compact disc. CDs are delicate. If you treasure your CD collections, you may want to keep them in the jewel cases.
- The clear PVC case is designed to keep the CD covers, which include cover art, song list, lyrics and more, with the disc so it won’t get lost.
- The case also protects the CD cover from wrinkling and tearing, just as it protects the disc from scratches and damage.
- Having the original cases, CD cover and the disc all together increases the resale value.
Con’s to Keeping the CD Cases
- The jewel cases take up space and triple or quadruple the amount of storage space you need.
- If you have lots of CDs and have small spaces for storage, you may have difficulty finding enough storage space.
- They take up more space.
- It’s more cumbersome to transport multiple loose CD cases.
If you do decide to ditch the CD cases or DVD storage cases, be sure to check with your local recycling center to see if the plastic case can be recycled there. The cases are plastic, but not all recycling centers recycle that type of plastic.
You can check with your local free item groups to see if anyone would like to repurpose the jewel cases.
If you consider your old CDs archival, you may want to check out these tips for storing your treasured CD collections.
CD Storage Sleeves
Many people choose to store their CD collections in CD sleeves or DVD wallets. This reduces the amount of space needed for storage. Most often the CD sleeve is then used in conjunction with a storage box or container.
Many people prefer using CD storage books and binders because they provide quick and easy access to their collection – simply flip the page and slip the CD out of the pocket. That’s easier than fighting to open the CD case, removing the CD and then closing the case and putting it back away.
Furniture Storage Options
Many people choose to use an entertainment center, media center, bookcase or other type of furniture. Depending on the size of your collection, you may need a storage system for an entire wall in your living room or entertainment room.
Multimedia bookshelves from Wayfair are shallower so CDs and DVDs fit perfectly.
There are also great CD storage ideas for small rooms and smaller collections.
You can even find a cool, futuristic design that adds to your interior design and room decorations. There are CD storage solutions for every taste, budget and interior design style.
Wall Mounted CD Storage
If you don’t have much floor space, a media shelf is a great way to store and display your own CDs.
Wall shelves for CDs or DVDs are stylish and are great for renters.
Wire rack CD storage shelf with a modern look from Wayfair.
Many of these over-the-door storage options can also be adapted for a narrow wall in addition to being hung on a door.
These media shelves can be placed on a counter, on a bookcase shelf or on top of an entertainment center.
CD Storage Box
These storage boxes are a popular way to store CDs and DVDs, especially when they’re stored in sleeves or envelopes. Check the dimensions of boxes, baskets and bins and you can also find some that work well with CD cases and DVDs in their case.
Portable CD Storage
Storage Bag with handles – The clear, vinyl bag with handles stores 50 each and can be carried over the shoulder.
DVD Storage Units
DVD storage solutions often work well for CDs and other media. Because DVD cases are larger than standard CD cases, DVDs storage will usually also work for CDs. And many will also be able to hold VHS tapes if you have those also in your collection.
DIY and Creative CD Storage Ideas
Repurpose a wood shutter for vertical storage that can hang on the wall or lean against it. You can often find wood shutters in local recycling groups or at thrift stores. Your local Habitat for Humanity ReStore is a good option for shutters.
You can use the space between wall studs to build shelves for your CDs or collections of DVDs.
Create shelves in the industrial style with plumbing pipes and wood shelves.
Repurpose shoe boxes or photo storage boxes. You’ll either need to find a storage box tall enough to hold the CD case or leave the lid off the box.
Recycle a wood wine shipment crate or other shipping crate. You can often request free wine crates at your local grocery store or wine store.
Use a vintage soda crate or fruit crate sitting on a table or hung on a wall. Upcycle a wood clementine crate like the one I upcycled below.
Using bookshelf units with adjustable shelves allows you to add more shelves so you can fit more CDs in the bookcase. Adjustable shelves also allow you to store vinyl records, video games, Blu-ray discs and other media.
Use a wine rack with square openings that will hold the CD cases.
Floating shelves work well for CD storage. It creates a modern look that can be incorporated into your home décor. Storage plus design.
Expert Tips for CD Storage
- Before you start buying storage racks, consider:
- How much space do you have?
- How large is your CD collection (and DVD collection)?
- Can you add shelves to the walls or do you need to choose free-standing furniture?
- Are you keeping the CD cases or using sleeves?
- What is your budget?
- What are your DIY skills?
- Consider your long-term purpose for your CDs:
- Are you keeping your CDs for your own use and enjoyment?
- You’ll want to find CD storage ideas that make it easy to find and access your music.
- Are you keeping your CDs with an eye towards future resale value?
- You’ll need storage options that will best protect your CD collection.
- Are you keeping your CDs for your own use and enjoyment?
- Find storage options that work best for your space and your lifestyle.
- Determine whether you want to store your CDs out and visible, or hidden, but accessible.
Other Popular Storage Ideas
- Storage for Small Spaces – Whether you’re down-sizing or just starting out, living in a small home can be cozy & organized with these 56 tips & products for storage for small spaces.
- Best Sweater Storage Ideas – Everything you need to know in 30+ tips for the best sweater storage ideas and products from a professional organizer.
- Ink Pad Storage Ideas – Ink pad storage idea using a repurposed thrifted CD rack that has made my crafting life much easier and solves all my craft organizing problems.
Be sure to pin these CD storage ideas for later, because we both know you’ll be holding onto those CDs and DVDs for a lot longer and will probably be adding more to your collection.
You can find all our best organizing and storage ideas in the table below. You can scroll though the table and look for ideas or search for specific ideas with the magnifying glass in the upper right-hand corner (on desktop). Click on the topic and then click through the specific article.
I’m a mom of 3, a veteran and military spouse. I’ve moved into 20+ homes all around the world. My passion is helping busy people make the space and time for what’s really important to them.