What is a more perfect Christmas craft for kids than making Rudolph puppets from the nostalgic childhood movie? These 8 popular movie characters can also be used as Christmas tree ornaments, gift tags, decorations and more.
My favorite Christmas memories are so much more than the gifts I received. They’re memories of time together with loved ones creating cherished memories. It’s the same for both adults and kids. Take the time to plan for fun family activities and crafts so you can create meaningful family memories.
What can I do with my family on Christmas Day?
- Sing Christmas songs
- Play Christmas themed charades
- Decorate Christmas cookies together
- Watch your favorite Christmas movies. Check out this list of 30 of the Best Family Christmas movies for more ideas.
- Play an indoor or outdoor Christmas scavenger hunt. This free printable has game boards for both indoors and outdoors play.
- Play a Christmas themed game.
- Make Christmas wreaths and decorations that your family can use year after year.
- Read Christmas stories.
- Take traditional and funny photos together.
- Make Christmas ornaments together every year and create a family tradition.
- Begin writing thank you cards.
- Take turns sharing favorite Christmas memories and stories.
- Make Christmas crafts together like the Rudolph puppets below.
The Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer show is a favorite from most of our childhoods. You can combine this fun Christmas craft for kids together with watching the show and then playing with the puppets.
This craft includes patterns for the most popular Rudolph characters:
- The Abominable Snow Monster
- Hermie the Elf
- Sam the Snowman
- Yukon Cornelius
- Clarise the Reindeer
- Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
- Santa Claus (Father Christmas)
- Mrs. Claus
Christmas Craft for Kids
This craft can be made by younger children with a little help from an adult.
What you need to make these Rudolph puppets Christmas craft for kids
- Colored craft paper or construction paper
- Or white craft paper and crayons
- Popsicle sticks
- Permanent Markers
- Craft glue or glue sticks
- The Rudolph puppet characters templates – You can access the free printable templates when you sign up for our free newsletter.
Expert Tips for Printables
How do I access the free printable Rudolph puppets patterns?
Fill in the form above. When you submit the form, you will promptly be sent an email with the free puppet templates. If you can’t find the welcome email after 3-4 minutes, check your spam folder. If you have any difficulty, you can email me and I’ll help you resolve any problems.
How can I use the printable (what restrictions are there on use)?
You can print these pdf files as many times as you’d like for your personal or classroom use. Please do not share the file with family, friends or coworkers. Please do share the link to this post so they can access their own copy of the printable.
- Additional supplies that can supplement the basic supplies
- Googly eyes
- Cotton balls
- Small pom poms
- Tissue paper
- Candy canes to replace the popsicle sticks
- Paper plates to create background scenes
- Pipe cleaners to fashion tools for Hermie, Yukon Cornelius and Mrs. Claus
How to make Rudolph puppets Christmas craft for kids step-by-step
Select colored paper to match the image and choose the correct template pattern.
Trace the pattern pieces onto the colored paper. Cut out the paper pieces. Lay them out carefully so they don’t get lost.
Following the images, glue the pieces together. Let the glue dry well.
Use a marker to add face features and other details.
Attach the puppet figures to popsicle sticks.
What makes these Rudolph puppets great?
- You can make them in conjunction with watching the classic Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer movie.
- The puppets can provide hours of imaginative play.
- They’re fun to make together. Crafting together is a wonderful way to spend time together.
- You can make these Rudolph characters as:
Looking for more Christmas crafts for kids?
- Easy DIY Ornaments – You can make these charming ornaments for a dollar each. They only take minutes to make.
- Christmas Candy Wrapper – Who doesn’t love candy for Christmas (or any time, really)? Decorate a gift of candy with this easy-to-make and adorable Santa wrapper.
- Recycled Laundry Scoop Ornaments – Make a beautiful and magical Christmas decoration from a simple recycled laundry scoop.
Other Christmas activities for kids you might have missed
- Christmas Memory Matching Game – 96 different free printable Christmas Memory Matching Game cards. Design the game as you’d like and create fun traditions & memories.
- Christmas Tree Coloring Pages – These six free Christmas tree coloring pages are perfect for children and adults of all ages. You can download and print them immediately for Christmas fun.
- Christmas Games for Families – Have fun and build family memories with more than 20 Christmas family game ideas including free games & ideas for all ages and interests.
- Christmas Scavenger Hunt – Make the Christmas season even more fun with this free printable Christmas scavenger hunt. It comes with both indoor and outdoor game cards.
- Free Santa Letterhead Printables – Add a dash more magic to your child’s Christmas with these 3 free Santa letterhead printables that create treasured Christmas memories.
- Free Paper Placemats Christmas Printable – Have fun at your next Christmas meal or holiday party with these free paper placemats Christmas printable activity and coloring sheets.
Be sure to pin this Christmas craft for kids so you can make these Rudolph puppets every Christmas.
You can find all our best Christmas crafts, recipes and ideas in the table below. You can scroll though the table and look for ideas or search for specific ideas with the magnifying glass in the upper right-hand corner (on desktop). Click on the topic and then click through the specific article.
I’m a mom of 3, a veteran and military spouse. I’ve moved into 20+ homes all around the world. My passion is helping busy people make the space and time for what’s really important to them.