This post was sponsored by GOJO, the makers of PURELL® Multi Surface Disinfectant, as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
I’ve moved into more than 25 homes thanks to the military. Our current home is the first one that has had granite counter tops. Cleaning granite counters is a bit different than cleaning the other types of counters we’ve had. Cleaning granite is not difficult, but you do need to take care of them to keep them looking beautiful. These simple tips are easy and have been working for us for three years now.
When we moved into our current home four years ago we renovated the kitchen – it went from a 90’s Darth Vader of a kitchen to this happy, bright airy kitchen that I love.
We also finished the basement and added a guest bathroom that has granite counters.
And added a wet bar with granite counter tops.
Being the cleaning and rule-following woman that I am, it was important to me to keep my granite counters clean and take care of them at the same time.
Cleaning Granite Counters
Watch What You Place on the Counter – We walk past the kitchen island when we come into our home. It became the drop spot for everyone’s stuff when they entered the house (and that means five people’s stuff). I quickly realized that we were adding extra germs and yuck to our lovely counter tops by placing backpacks, purses, shopping bags and whatever else on the counters. Designating the kitchen island as a no drop spot easily eliminated all that additional yuck on the counter.
Soap and Water – I’ve used just dish soap and water to clean my granite counters. It’s easy because you use what you already have in your home, but it’s a 4 (or more)-step process.
- Scrub the counter with a clean cloth and dish soap.
- Rinse the counter with a clean cloth and warm water.
- Rinse again. It’s important to remove all the soap residue.
- Rinse again, as many times as needed to remove all the soap.
- Dry the counter with a clean cloth.
I love to bake and that often means rolling dough out on the counter top. It’s important to me to have a really clean and disinfected counter when I’m baking.
Clean as You Go – No matter how careful you are, there are always splatters and spills on counter tops. Simply wiping those splatters up as they occur with a damp cloth helps keep your counters spot-free and lovely both in the kitchen and the bathroom.
Use a Product Meant for Granite – It’s important that you use a product meant to be used on granite counters. If you’re not careful, you can scratch and etch the granite with your cleaner.
Don’t clean with anything acidic:
- lemon juice
- acetone – often found in nail polish remover
Don’t clean with an abrasive:
- scouring powder
- scouring pads
- scouring brushes
While I want to pamper and take care of my granite counters, I also want to make sure they’re disinfected and clean for my family. I’ve been using PURELL® Hand Sanitizer for my family for years, so I’m excited to discover PURELL® Multi Surface Disinfectant for my home.
- Quickly kills 99.99% of germs, including cold and flu, strep and salmonella.
- One year my family had strep run through all three children and myself and then make a second round through two of my children. I was constantly (at least once a day) disinfecting counters and surfaces for over three weeks. If only I’d had PURELL® Multi Surface Cleaner it would have been a much easier and effective task.
- No harsh chemicals or odors.
- Worry-free for use around children, pets and food.
- Doesn’t require rinsing with water.
- That means it’s one step disinfecting and cleaning versus multiple steps.
- Can be used on food-prep surfaces.
- Can be used on children’s toys.
- Can be used on granite!
- I’ve been looking for a product I can trust on my granite counters and trust to disinfect and clean. Woo hoo!
- Doesn’t stain clothes or fabric.
I really, really, really don’t like to go out shopping, so I’m thrilled that I can order PURELL® Multi Surface Disinfectant from Amazon with a 20% off offer, Jet.com and Walmart.com. For those of you who do enjoy shopping in stores, you can find PURELL® Multi Surface Disinfectant at H-E-B and Publix now and it will soon be available at Shop Rite and Wakefern Food Corporation stores.
I still smile every single time I walk into our new (ish) kitchen. Thanks to these tips and PURELL® Multi Surface Disinfectant, I’ll be able to continue smiling and enjoying my granite counters for years to come.