This shop has been compensated by #CollectiveBias, Inc and its advertiser, #HeroesEatMMs. All opinions are mine alone.
You’ve heard me say (just a few times) before that we’re big comic book fans in the Organized 31 home. We each have our favorite superhero, but without a doubt, we all agree that Captain America is our family favorite. We’re super excited that Captain America: The Winter Soldier is out on DVD now. So excited that I thought I’d celebrate by making these easy Captain America Cupcakes with M&Ms® on top as a treat for when our family watches the DVD together. And when I say they’re easy to make, I mean embarrassingly easy.
I am not a cake decorator. I’m a mom that decorates cakes and cupcakes because I love my kids. That means that my past is littered with photographic evidence of my lack of cake decorating skill. I’ve learned to make cute cupcakes that anyone, even I, can make. Since it all starts with a vanilla cake mix, white canned frosting, M&Ms, red and blue cupcake papers and a small package of fondant, I popped over to Walmart where I knew I could get everything I needed. Be sure you get the big bag of M&Ms so that you’ll have enough red and blue ones. Lucky for you, you can grab this coupon before you head to the store to purchase your bag of M&Ms. Prepare the cake mix according to the directions on the box. Once you have it all mixed, pour batter into 2 small bowls; add red food coloring to one and blue to the other. Don’t wory, I’ll share the entire recipe at the end. Fill each cupcake liner about 1/4 full with white cake batter. Drop a small amount of red batter and blue batter in the center of each cup. Use a toothpick to swirl the colors together, but be careful to stop swirling before you end up with purple. Your goal it to create a red, white and blue swirled center. Add more white batter on top. Bake the cupcakes according to the directions on the package. Let them cool well. Because I’m a mom baker (and not a master baker), my cupcakes usually are not flat on top. I simply take a serrated knife and slice the mound off to make a flat cupcake top. Frost each cupcake with the white canned frosting. Separate the red and blue M&Ms into two bowls. Place 3 blue M&Ms in the center of the cupcake and then use the red M&Ms to make a ring around the outside of the cupcake. Use the remaining colors of M&Ms to make other yummy treats later (that is if you and your helpers don’t eat them all first!) Place a golf ball sized amount of white fondant in between 2 pieces of waxed paper and roll it flat. Using a small star-shaped cookie cutter, cut stars out for the center of the shield. Press the fondant stars down gently so they’ll stick to the blue M&Ms. My family oohed and aahed over the cupcakes when they saw them. It was fun to watch their surprise when they bit into the cupcakes and found the red, white and blue center. The fun part about the center is that it’s kind of like tie dye, you never know what you’re going to get until you see it and each one is different. I made these as a treat for my family for family movie night with Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but they’d also be perfect for a birthday party or superhero fan. I’ve told you how embarrassingly easy these Captain America cupcakes with M&Ms are, but you don’t have to tell anyone when you make them. Just let your friends and family enjoy.
More fun Captain America ideas:
- Boxed vanilla cake mix
- Ingredients to make cake mix
- Red & blue food coloring
- Canned vanilla frosting
- Large bag of M&Ms
- Small package of white fondant
- Cupcake papers, red & blue are preferred
- Preheat oven according to directions on the cake mix box.
- Prepare cake mix according to the directions.
- After the batter is mixed, separate 3/4 cup batter each into 2 separate bowls.
- Add 9 drops of red food coloring to one small bowl of batter; mix well.
- Add 6 drops of blue food coloring to the other small bowl of batter; mix well.
- Fill each cupcake paper about 1/4 full with white cake batter.
- Add about 1 Tablespoon of red batter and 1 Tablespoon of blue batter to the center of each cupcake cup. Use a toothpick to swirl the colors together (be careful to just swirl and not completely mix the colors).
- Add more white cake batter until the cupcake cup is approximately 2/3 full.
- Bake according to cake mix box directions.
- Cool cupcakes completely.
- Slice raised tops of cupcakes off with a serrated knife so that you have a flat top.
- Frost with white canned frosting.
- Add 3 blue M&Ms to the center of each cupcake and use red M&Ms to make a ring around the outside of the cupcake.
- Roll fondant flat between 2 pieces of wax paper to about 1/16 inch thick. Use a small star cookie cutter to cut enough stars for the center of each cupcake. Press the fondant star gently to the blue M&Ms.
- Decorate with M&Ms on the day you're serving, not earlier or the shell will soften from the frosting.