I never get tired of fun food creations. But I’m a busy, busy mom and I don’t have hours or days to create fun food. I’m all about easy ideas that still impress. I wanted to make some easy and edible Nightmare Before Christmas decorations this year. I was able to make these Jack Skellington Halloween decorations in about 10 minutes with just two ingredients. They’re easy to make. Really and truly.
A couple of weeks ago I made Halloween Rice Krispies Treats that were edible spell books. While they were easy to make, these Jack Skellington treats are even easier.
Jack Skellington Halloween Decorations that are Edible
- Marshmallows – Large or Mini Marshmallows
- Edible Food Marker
- Paper Towels or Wax paper
Draw a Jack Skellington face on the marshmallow. Yep, that’s it. Easy-peasy. The first few you make will take longer, but once you gain confidence, you’ll be able to make one in a minute or so.
- Have an image of Jack Skellington’s face in front of you to refer to.
- Look at several different styles of Jack Skellington faces. Some are easier to draw than others, especially on a marshmallow.
- Practice drawing on a piece of paper first.
- Draw a thinner line with the edible marker. You can always go back and make the line thicker, but you can’t erase a line if it’s too thick.
- Draw with the edible marker’s point, but color the eyes in with the side of the marker.
- If the marker seems to drag on the marshmallow and the color doesn’t fill in, turn the marshmallow the other direction and try it again. Sometimes the texture of the marshmallow doesn’t take the edible ink as well from one direction, but will take it in the same spot from the other direction.
You can draw on the flat, round end of the marshmallow or on the curved side of the marshmallow. When the marshmallows were squished, I found it easier to draw on the curved side.
You can also draw on mini marshmallows, but it’s much more difficult. Or it was much more difficult for my limited artistic skills.
After the first couple of practice ones, you’ll find that it’s easy to make the faces turn out just as you want. It really is fun to create an entire family of Jack Skellington faces.
Ideas for Serving
- Place Jack Skellington marshmallows in a large bowl with a scoop.
- Place the marshmallows in small clear bowls or cups for individual servings.
- Place the marshmallows in a ziplock bag with a decorated topper to give as party favors.
- Mix the Jack Skellington marshmallows with chocolate candies, nuts or trail mix to make a unique snack mix.
- Place one decorated marshmallow on a cupcake.
- Decorate a cake with these decorated marshmallows.
You can also place the Jack Skellington marshmallows on toothpicks or skewers and stick them in a jar or bowl of candy to create a center piece.
No one will know how easy these Nightmare Before Christmas treats are to make.
This would be a fun activity to do with children. But be prepared that the edible food marker stains hands and probably clothes.
Have fun creating some Nightmare Before Christmas magic with these Jack Skellington Halloween decorations that are edible.
I’m a mom of 3, a veteran and military spouse. I’ve moved into 20+ homes all around the world. My passion is helping busy people make the space and time for what’s really important to them.