What says nostalgic summer dessert like strawberry shortcake? It’s the perfect summer dessert. It brings back lazy summer cookout memories. It conjures up exciting 4th of July memories. The only thing that can make a shortcake recipe better is strawberries and blueberries. Two fresh summer fruits combined in individual cupcake-sized desserts. Oh, and they’re decorated to look like the American flag with the stars & stripes, so they’re perfect for 4th of July celebrations and any patriotic occasion. And they’re super quick to whip up. Really.
As a Wayfair Homemaker, I know that celebrating the 4th of July is even more celebratory with the wide range of flags, patriotic tableware and decor that they offer. Decorating for the 4th of July is just as enmeshed in nostalgic summer memories as a good strawberry shortcake. I’ll let Wayfair handle the patriotic decor and cookout supplies and I’ll share this delicious and simple-to-make patriotic shortcake recipe.
Sure you could make this shortcake recipe the old-fashioned way, with just strawberries and whipped cream piled on top of the cake. But while I love nostalgic recipes, I like to zing them up a bit and this strawberry and blueberry shortcake with a nod to the American flag definitely zings.
See the red and white stripes in the layers of cupcake and strawberries? See the blue field of starts in the blueberries an icing? And when you make it individual cupcake-sized, it’s just so adorably charming.
Shortcake Recipe with Strawberries & Blueberries
You can use a store-bought cake mix or your favorite homemade cake recipe. Because I’m a busy mom, I used a store-bought mix for these cupcakes, but it really doesn’t take that much longer to whip up your family’s favorite homemade recipe.
- White or Yellow Cupcakes
- Fresh Sliced Strawberries
- Fresh Blueberries
- Whipped Cream or Vanilla Frosting – Again, you can make your own or use store-bought. Your choice.
Assemble the Patriotic Shortcake Cupcakes
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, slice them horizontally. You can slice them one time or multiple, depending on the height of your cupcakes. The more slices the more you’ll create red and white stripes.
- Layer the sliced strawberries between the layers of the cupcakes.
- Add stars of whipped cream or frosting between rows of blueberries. I find it works best to start with a row of blueberries in the center of the cupcake and then add the row of stars on both sides of the blueberries. Work your way out from the center of the cupcake making alternating stripes. Use the whipped cream or frosting to anchor the blueberries to the cupcake so they don’t roll away.
My family were all oohing and aahing over these cute little shortcake cupcakes.
How will you be celebrating the 4th of July this year? Include this patriotic shortcake recipe and you’ll be the hit of your celebration.
Add this Red, White and Blue Dessert to your dessert table for even more patriotic flair.
Check out my favorite patriotic crafts, printables and recipes in the table below. You can scroll though the table and look for ideas or search for specific ideas with the magnifying glass in the upper right-hand corner (on desktop). Click on the topic and then click through the specific article.
I’m a mom of 3, a veteran and military spouse. I’ve moved into 20+ homes all around the world. My passion is helping busy people make the space and time for what’s really important to them.