What do you do to pass time on a long car trip? Play the license plate game, of course! This game has been a family favorite for decades. I updated it a bit by making a travel scavenger hunt with 4 free printable game boards.
Your next road trip will be a lot more fun with a lot less fussing when you play this tried and true road trip game.
When you’re traveling on a long road trip, you need to be prepared with entertainment for the family. This free license plate game will be your go-to solution for your family and kids of all ages.
How to Play the License Plate Game
- The best time to play the license plate game in in a cross-country trip or at least a multi-state driving trip.
- The goal is to find all the license plates on your game board.
- You can print out as many copies of the free license plate game below as you’d like for your trip.
- Each player searches passing cars for the the license plates on her game board.
- Players should mark off the licenses plates they find with a crayon or marker.
- You can set the game rules so that players have to find all the plates on the game board or you can have the first person to find all the license plates in a row or column win.
- If you have younger children in the car, you can have them team up with an older child or an adult to look for license plates.
Road Trip Tips
- Traveling with Kids – The Must-Haves Guide
- Preparing Your Car for a Road Trip this Summer
- 6 Reasons You Need a Trip Planner
- Road Trip Snack Packing
- Road Trip Snack to Go
License Plate Game
How to Play the License Plate Game
These license plate scavenger hunt game boards are designed so that they contain a mix of license plates from different geographic areas of the country. This should make the difficulty of each game board comparable.
The game boards do not include Alaska or Hawaii since these license plates can be extremely difficult to find in different regions of the country.
How to Print the License Plate Game Boards
- To get your own free copy of the license plate game printable game boards, sign up for our free newsletter and gain immediately access to the game and also 125+ free printables and automations in the VIP Resource Library.
- Print the game boards out on computer paper or heavier card stock paper so that it will hold up better during your trip.
- You can print out these game boards as many time as you like for your personal use.
- You may want to print out extra copies so that you play the game many times during your car trip.
Expert Tips for Printables
How do I access the free printable scavenger hunt?
Fill in the form above. When you submit the form, you will immediately be sent an email from Organized 31 with a link to the VIP Resources Library, including detailed instructions on how to access your printable. If you can’t find the welcome email after 3-4 minutes, check your spam folder. If you have any difficulty, you can email me and I’ll help you resolved any problems.
How do I print the pdf file?
The pdf usually opens right up when you click on the link in the VIP Resources Library. When that happens, simply right click on the pdf and either print or save the document to your device.
If the pdf does not pop up for you, you’ll most likely find it in your computer’s Downloads folder. You can also select “Downloads” in your browser menu to see a list of your downloads, then select “Show in folder” below the file name to see where it is located on your computer.
I’m worried about wasting printer ink – what can I do?
Most printers offer you the option to print in greyscale which is in black and white.
You can also look for the option to print in draft or economy mode. This usually means that the sheet is printed out with less ink. It still looks great and is a good way to print in color but use less ink.
How can I use the printable (what restrictions are there on use)?
You can print these pdf files as many times as you’d like for your personal or classroom use. Please do not share the file with family, friends or coworkers. Please do share the link to this post so they can access their own copy of the printable. All printables are copyrighted.
I have been a big fan of scavenger hunts since I was a young child. About a year ago, I started making scavenger hunts to share here and have been having a blast creating so many different themed hunts.
I have created scavenger hunts for almost all the holidays and for different seasons of the year.
I’ve created games specifically for children, for adults and then ones like this license plate game that works for all ages.
You should check out all my scavenger hunt games, there are more than 17 different games. You may become as much of a fan as I am.
Pin for later so you can always find this License Plate Game for your next road trip.
For my top moving and travel tips, hacks and printables check out the table below. You can scroll though the table and look for ideas or search for specific ideas with the magnifying glass in the upper right-hand corner (on desktop). Click on the topic and then click through the specific article.
I’m a mom of 3, a veteran and military spouse. I’ve moved into 20+ homes all around the world. My passion is helping busy people make the space and time for what’s really important to them.