There are many ways to create family traditions and memories. Playing the Christmas Memory Matching Game is an ideal activity because children of all ages and adults can play the game together and it can be played over and over again.
This free printable can be downloaded immediately for spontaneous game play. The printable contains a total of 48 different game cards, so you can play a simple game with as few as 4 different images, 8 total cards, or increase the difficulty up to playing with 48 unique images or 96 total cards.
The Christmas Memory Matching Game is perfect for many different situations:
- Family game time during the month of December
- Homeschooling activity
- School party
- Neighborhood party
- Christmas Eve activity
- Christmas Day activity
- Keep children busy as family holiday party
Christmas Memory Matching Game
You can tailor this game to match the ages, attention spans and amount of available time by simply choosing how many images you will play the game with.
Remember that whatever the number of images you choose, you will have twice that many cards since you need to have pairs of each image.
How to Play the Memory Matching Game
There are four different pages of cards, for a total of 48 different images and 96 cards. There are two copies of each page for a total of 8 pages.
You can choose to play the Christmas memory matching game any way you want. This makes it easily adaptable for different ages and attention spans.
- Play the game with one page of cards for a total of 12 different images and 24 game cards.
- Play with two different pages of game cards for a total of 24 unique images and a total of 48 game cards.
- You can play with three or four different pages, which will give you 36 or 48 different images and 72 or 96 cards respectively.
- It’s important to make sure that you print 2 copies of each page of cards that you choose.
Once you print out the pages of cards, cut each game card out individually.
Shuffle the cards and lay them out in a grid pattern, with the images face down.
- One unique page of game cards (two total sheets) should be laid out in a grid of 6 by 4.
- Two unique pages of game cards (four total sheets) should be laid out in a grid of 8 by 6.
- Three unique pages of game cards (six total sheets) should be laid out in a grid of 9 by 8.
- Four unique pages of game cards (eight total sheets) should be laid out in a grid of 12 by 8.
The goals is to turn over two cards with matching images.
- The youngest player goes first and turns two cards over face up.
- The goal is to match the images on both cards.
- If the cards match, the player removes the cards and places them next to them. The player then take another turn attempting to match two cards.
- If the cards don’t match, the player turns the cards back over so the images are down and keep the cards in the same location. Then the next player turns over two cards attempting to match cards.
- The players continue taking turns until all the cards are matched.
- Players should pay attention to each card that is turned over and remember the location so that they can create matching pairs from memory.
- The player with the most matched pairs win.
How to Print the Christmas Memory Matching Game
- Download your own copy of the free Christmas Memory Matching Game.
- You can either
- Print it directly from the pdf or
- Save the pdf and print it later.
- Print on heavier card stock paper so that the game cards will hold up to game after game after game.
- Consider laminating the game cards so they’ll hold up to years of game play even better.
Expert Tips for Printables
How do I access the free Christmas Memory Matching Game?
Fill in the form above. When you submit the form, you will immediately be sent an email from Organized 31 with a link to the VIP Resources Library, including detailed instructions on how to access your printable. If you can’t find the welcome email after 3-4 minutes, check your spam folder. If you have any difficulty, you can email me and I’ll help you resolved any problems.
How do I print the pdf file?
The pdf usually opens right up when you click on the link in the VIP Resources Library. When that happens, simply right click on the pdf and either print or save the document to your device.
If the pdf does not pop up for you, you’ll most likely find it in your computer’s Downloads folder. You can also select “Downloads” in your browser menu to see a list of your downloads, then select “Show in folder” below the file name to see where it is located on your computer.
I’m worried about wasting printer ink – what can I do?
Most printers offer you the option to print in greyscale which is in black and white.
You can also look for the option to print in draft or economy mode. This usually means that the sheet is printed out with less ink. It still looks great and is a good way to print in color but use less ink.
How can I use the printable (what restrictions are there on use)?
You can print these pdf files as many times as you’d like for your personal or classroom use. Please do not share the file with family, friends or coworkers. Please do share the link to this post so they can access their own copy of the printable. All printables are copyrighted.
More Free Printable Christmas Games and Activities
- Christmas Scavenger Hunt
- Hallmark Christmas Movie Scavenger Hunt
- Santa Coloring Pages
- Christmas Word Search
- Best Family Christmas Movies
- Printable Scavenger Hunt Riddles
- Angel Coloring Page
- Christmas Tree Coloring Pages
- Elf Coloring Pages
- Reindeer Color Pages
- Nativity Coloring Pages
- More Santa Coloring Pages
- Christmas Maze for Kids
Be sure to pin this Christmas Memory Matching Game free printable so that you can find it each Christmas year after year for holiday fun.
I’m a mom of 3, a veteran and military spouse. I’ve moved into 20+ homes all around the world. My passion is helping busy people make the space and time for what’s really important to them.