Plumeria Flower Paper Craft
This post may contain affiliate links provided for your convenience. We earn commissions if you shop through the links on this page. I am also an Amazon Associate and earn from qualifying purchases Read my full disclosure policy.
You can make this beautiful plumeria flower paper craft to be used in a multitude of different projects and decorations. This tutorial includes a free template and an easy step-by-step tutorial with detailed photos.
It’s the perfect craft to use up those paper strips and scraps you have laying around. It’s an easy craft for children to make and a great flower craft for adults, too.
I grew up in Hawai’i with plumeria trees on almost every corner. They’re a popular tropical flower in the Islands and one of my favorite flowers. We used to walk to our local post office, pick plumeria flowers and make our own plumeria flower leis. Now that I don’t have a plumeria tree just down the street, I enjoy making these DIY paper plumeria flowers and using them for my own crafts.
Ideas for Using This Plumeria Flower Paper Craft
These beautiful flowers can be added to a wide variety of DIY projects.
- They’re a great way to decorate for a Hawaiian or luau themed party
- On invitations
- As a party activity
- As table decorations
- As banner decorations
- Attach to wood picks to decorate a cake or cupcakes
- Use them to create a tropical photo backdrop
- On thank you cards
- Attach them to a head band to make a Hawaiian flower headband or lei po’o (head lei)
- Add to handmade greeting cards
- Mother’s Day card
- Wedding card
- Get Well card
- Thinking of You card
- Attach to a bobby pin to create a flower hair clip
- Decorate a journal cover
- Create a table centerpiece for a party
- Embellish a gift bag
- Create plumeria wall art or wall décor
- Attach to a ribbon to make a flower lei
- Embellish a wrapped gift
- Attach to a large paper clip to make a bookmark
Plumeria Flower Meaning
The plumeria flower evokes simple happiness and positivity. It is also known as frangipani flowers. The plumeria flower represents creation, birth, new life and new starts. Plumeria flowers are a popular flower in Hawai’i, treasured for their simple beauty and sweet fragrance. They’re worn in hula, in more casual leis and worn singularly or in groupings in the hair.
Plumeria Flower Paper Craft
If you are as charmed by the plumeria flower as I am, you’ll love making these paper plumeria flowers and finding ways to share them.
This paper flower tutorial is easy enough for young children and engaging enough for older kids to make. The youngest kids may need a bit of help gluing the small pieces of craft paper together.
What you need to make this plumeria paper craft
This is the perfect craft to use up those scrap pieces of paper you’ve been holding onto since the template pieces to make the paper plumeria are small.
- Colored craft papers
- This tutorial uses:
- Light Pink
- You can choose any different colors you prefer, but common colors seen in plumeria flowers are:
- White and yellow
- Bright pink with salmon pink
- Pink, yellow and salmon pink
- White and pink
- Lavender with yellow
- You can use construction paper, especially for children, but I recommend heavier craft paper and cardstock paper to create gorgeous flowers that are sturdier
- This tutorial uses:
- Craft glue
- A glue stick is easy to use since the pieces won’t slide or shift
- You can also use any paper craft glue
- You could use a hot glue gun, but it wouldn’t be my first choice
- Template for plumeria flower craft – get the Hawaiian paper flower template for free
- You can use the printable template as many times as you’d like for your personal or classroom use.
Plumeria paper craft step-by-step instructions
Select a piece of craft paper for the large petals and a lighter shade of yellow paper for the small petals (inner layers). Select a green piece of paper for the leaves.
Trace and carefully cut out the patterns from the provided template.
The paper flower cut out pieces are small, so have a clear space to keep them or place them in envelopes.
Attach the small petal cutouts on the large petal cutouts on the bottom end (the pointy side) with glue. The smaller petal pieces create the center of the flower. Create 5 paper petals for each flower.
Use a thin cylindrical object (a pen or pencil works well) to curve the paper petals. Simply give the petals a nice curve along the middle line. Curve the paper up as in the image.
Join 2 petals together side by side with glue. Overlap the petals by 1 centimeter or less.
Join the rest of the petals similarly. Overlap each petal with the next one forming a round flower shape.
For the last petal, if it’s under the previous one it should be over the next one (the first petal) and if it’s over the previous one it should be under the next one (the first petal).
Cut out the leaf patterns from green paper and attach them to the plumeria paper flowers.
Expert Tips for Flower Paper Craft Plumeria Flowers
- Choose colors of cardstock paper to match your favorite plumeria flowers
- You can enlarge the paper flower template to make giant flowers or paper blooms of any size, not just the small flowers the template creates
- You can use this plumeria flower template to create other beautiful paper flowers by changing the colors and numbers of the petals
- You can mix these beautiful flowers with other paper flower tutorials to create a paper flower craft garden
- Tissue paper flowers
- Flowers made from coffee filters
- Crepe paper flowers
Looking for more paper crafts?
DIY Paper Bag Star Decorations – Make your own DIY Paper Star Decorations using inexpensive paper lunch bags. Paper stars are perfect for weddings, graduation, birthday parties and more.
DIY Happy Planner Pocket Folder – Make your own DIY Happy Planner Pocket Folder personalized with your favorite decorative paper. Make it for just pennies in about 20 minutes.
Confetti Flinger Card Insert – Adding a confetti flinger card insert to a college care package or for any loved one is a fun way to make a card even more special. It’s easy to make with this step-by-step tutorial.
Other flower crafts you might have missed
Money Lei Tutorial – The Hawaiian tradition of giving a money lei for graduation is a memorable gift. This tutorial is easy to do & makes a comfortable to wear graduation lei.
Easy Magazine Flowers – Put old magazines to use making these simple magazine flowers. A great project for children or beginning crafters.
Felt Flower Book Hugger – Make these adorable bookmarks for yourself or to give as gifts.
Be sure to pin this charming flower paper craft so you can make these plumerias whenever you want in the future.
You can find all our best craft projects in the table below. You can scroll though the table and look for ideas or search for specific ideas with the magnifying glass in the upper right-hand corner (on desktop). Click on the topic and then click through the specific article.
I’m a mom of 3, a veteran and military spouse. I’ve moved into 20+ homes all around the world. My passion is helping busy people make the space and time for what’s really important to them.