Once the hard work of decluttering is done, it’s time for the fun of craft room storage ideas. There are so many amazingly creative and innovative DIY ideas and organizing products for craft spaces. There are options for every budget and every size space. Luckily, crafters love to be creative and that is invaluable when it comes to organizing with craft room storage ideas.
If you missed the first two days of the organized home challenge, How to Plan Craft Room Organization and Declutter Your Craft Stash, you definitely want to start there first to make the most of your craft room organizing.
How Do I Organize My Craft Area?
- Organize by Use
- Utilize Vertical Space
- Use Hidden Space
- Use Free and Repurposed Organizing Ideas
- Use Space Efficiently
- Use Innovative Products
- Use the Space, Reassess and Make Adjustments
Craft Room Storage
If you’re a crafter, you probably have too much stuff. Be ruthless in decluttering so that you can create the craft space you dream of. The tips and free checklist in Declutter Your Craft Stash will be a big help to you.
Organize by Priority
As you put each item away, think about how often you use it. Place your most frequently used craft items where you can easily access them. Place seldom used items up high, at the bottom of the stack or in the less convenient storage area.
Organize by Use
Evaluate where you use craft items in your craft space. Place items where you will use them. For example, keep pens on the desk where you use them. Keep vinyl near the electronic cutting machine. This concept of storage at the point of use is foundational for the best craft room organizing.
Use All Space Efficiently
Take advantage of vertical space in the room and on the walls.
- Use tall craft storage cabinets and furniture
- Use open wall shelving
- You can even place shelves over the top of doorways
- Use peg boards
Take advantage of hidden space.
- On top of high shelves
- In the back of deep shelves
- Under tables
- Behind chairs
- In closets
- Behind bookshelves or craft storage cabinets
Use Free & Repurposed Craft Storage Ideas
I love to repurpose items for craft storage and I really love to use free repurposed ideas.
- Plant Pots to hold markers, pens, paint brushes and more.
- Library Card Drawer to Organize a Craft Room
- Washi Tape Organizing That’s Free
- Ink Pad Storage Idea
- DIY Craft Room Organizing
- Free Craft Ribbon Storage
- Portable Yarn Keeper
- Repurposed warehouse boxes covered in adhesive paper. You can find some of my favorite adhesive paper pattern in my Amazon store.
- Shoe boxes – you can decorate them with this Easy Upcycled Sweater Box tutorial
- Large plastic jars and containers (check out how I turned a corn starch jar into a Lego Head storage jar).
- Upcycled cigar box
- Plastic and metal baskets or container from other areas of your home
Craft Storage Ideas
- How to Store Fabric
- Organize a Craft Room with Labels
- Tips to Organize a Craft Room
- DIY Ikea Built-in Storage – from Gluesticks Blog
- Organize Kids Art Supplies – from Fun with Mama
- Simple Sewing Room Organization – from Sew Simple Home
- Craft Room/Homeschool Room/Playroom – The Keeper of the Memories
My Favorite Craft Storage Products
- I’ve collected my favorite organizing products in my Amazon shop.
- Organize My Drawer is a veteran-owned and woman-owned company that assembles the one-of-a-kind drawer organizers here in the USA. You can see how I used this product to design my own personal sewing box tray organizer.
- I love Meori foldable boxes for flexible storage in my craft room. My readers can get a unique 20% off discount code to use.
- I rely on IKEA for my craft storage cabinets and furniture. They’ve got versatile storage options that look great at reasonable prices. The desk and two shelves below are all from IKEA.
Be sure to pin for later when you’re in the mood to peruse craft room storage ideas for inspiration.
I’m a mom of 3, a veteran and military spouse. I’ve moved into 20+ homes all around the world. My passion is helping busy people make the space and time for what’s really important to them.