Originally published September 6, 2019 and updated October 12, 2022.
A Halloween care package is one of my favorites to make. There’s just something so quirky and fun about the holiday. And it’s easy to find lots of creative items for all ages and interests to put in the care package.
I thoroughly enjoy making care packages for college students and deployed military members. I make several care packages every holiday (and occasion) I can during the year. With my third child in college now, making college care packages are a priority this year. Care packages are always popular with college kids (and anyone who is a kid at heart).
What to Put In a Halloween Care Package?
- Halloween-themed Candy
- Halloween Gifts
- DIY Halloween Treats
- Halloween Toys for College Students
- Home-baked Cookies
- Purchased Halloween-themed Cookies
- Halloween Blankets & Pillows
If you’re not a baker, these are truly delicious cookies that are a great option (and that I eat (almost) every day!).
Halloween Care Package Ideas
How to make a Halloween Care Package
- I like to drop by my local post office and pick up a Priority Mail box. It makes it easy to put together the care package since it’s a flat rate box. You know exactly how much it will cost to ship and then you can fit as much as you can in the box.
- Consider your recipient’s personal preferences and interests.
- Send multiples of smaller items so that your recipient can share with roommates or friends.
- Strive for a mix of fun and practical gifts.
- Be aware of the temperatures. Don’t send chocolate or candy that can melt if the temperatures are too high.
- Consider shipping times if you’re sending home-baked treats. You’d hate for it to take several days in the mail and then arrive just to sit at the post office over the weekend. I try to ship my care packages on a Friday so that they’ll arrive fresh on Monday or Tuesday.
- Give your recipient a head’s up to watch for the Halloween care package. Some mail rooms are not prompt in notifying students or troops that a package has arrived. You don’t want your treats just sitting in the mail room turning stale.
- If you’re sending homemade baked goods, check out my tips on how to package brownies for shipping (the tips work for shipping cookies, too).
Add a Halloween Sign
It’s important to always add a handwritten note to personalize the gift box and let the recipient know you care.
Adding black construction paper, orange paper or Halloween themed decorative scrapbook paper is a quick way to decorate and create a fun gift.
You can place the signs on the flaps of the inside of the box or on the bottom of the box. Use double-sided tape to attach. This creates a fun surprise when they open the box and are greeted with good wishes on the inside flaps.
Adding printable food tags to individual snacks and candy is a great way to turn a simple care package into an unexpected gift.
Expert Tips for Sending a Themed Care Package
Embrace the theme when selecting gifts to add to the box. Check out my more than 25 College Care Package Ideas for every occasion throughout the year.
You don’t have to spend a lot to create a special package. When planning your care package budget, be sure to factor in the cost of shipping different sizes of boxes.
Always add a handwritten note. If possible, collect notes and cards from other family members and friends.
Add gifts made to share with roommates and friends. You can do this by adding extra Halloween candy and treats or by including games and activities that are share with others.
Add mix of:
- Healthy snacks
- Junk food
- Personal care items like lip balm, toothbrush or hand lotion
- Small extra fun decorations
- Fun things like fake spider webs, fake spiders or a fake hand
- Small craft kits, activity kits or activity books
- Games to be shared with friends like a frisbee, card game or hacky sack balls
DIY Gifts Care Package Ideas
Frequently Asked Questions about a Halloween themed Care Package
What do you put in a Halloween care package?
Embrace the Halloween theme in making the care package. Add anything with a Halloween motif. Add items in orange or black packaging. I like to shop in my department store and grocery store and look for socks, mittens, hats, towels, toiletries, snacks, drink mixes, stationery and small toys.
What are good things to send in a care package?
Look for fun items and things that will make life easier, even if it’s just so they don’t have to go shopping for daily use items.
- Drink mixes
- Mittens, gloves and hats
- Small toys
- Activity books, coloring books, etc.
- Personal care items like combs, brushes, hair accessories
- Towels and throw blankets
Is a care package a good gift?
A care package a great gift for any situation and is always a hit with college students and deployed military. What makes it a good idea is that there are so many themes and fun ways to create the gift box. Fill it with favorite items or items related to a specific theme.
More Holiday Care Package Ideas
47+ College Care Package Ideas – Fun and creative themes for care packages. There’s something for every person and every occassion.
Birthday Care Package – 20 unique birthday care package ideas, including DIY & gift box ideas. Perfect for college students, military troops & long-distance friends & family.
Valentine’s Care Package – Show your affection and love by sending Valentine’s Day Care Packages for College Students. Fill the care package with sweet, warm and loving treats and notes.
Pink Care Package Idea – 50 tips and ideas for making a pink care package they’ll love for any occasion. Perfect for college, military, cancer care package & more.
For all my favorite Halloween crafts, games, printables and recipes see the table below. You can scroll though the table and look for ideas or search for specific ideas with the magnifying glass in the upper right-hand corner (on desktop). Click on the topic and then click through the specific article.
I’m a mom of 3, a veteran and military spouse. I’ve moved into 20+ homes all around the world. My passion is helping busy people make the space and time for what’s really important to them.